True love is something that can happen no matter the circumstances of the situation. Whether you are a poor beggar boy chasing after the heart of a princess, a chivalrous and courageous Knight immensely in love with the queen that you’ve vowed protection to, or whether your families are hated enemies of one another, it is possible for love to take root and blossom.
It also could be the simple attraction to what we cannot have, the forbidden. Regardless of the reason, love of these kinds has spawned off wonderful and inspirational stories. Stories about such couples as Aladdin, Sir Lancelot, Romeo, and their lovely ladies have all helped to keep the dream alive. It is the dream that love, although forbidden, or seemly impossible, with great sacrifice is achievable.
“I can show you the world shining, shimmering, splendid. Tell me princess, when was the last time you let your heart decide?” Aladdin and Jasmine will forever be remembered by their magical carpet ride across the night sky, through the clouds, and over the lighted desert city of Agrabah.
This Middle-Eastern-based romance is only a cartoon, but it does illustrate clearly the aspect of forbidden love. Aladdin, a poor beggar boy from the streets of Agrabah, wished to prove to everyone that he was much more than what they thought he was, a “street rat.”
One day, he helped a young girl in the market place and he began to fall in love with her, not realizing her true identity in the beginning. The young girl in actuality is none other than the princess of his kingdom, Princess Jasmine, and fortunately for him, she returned his love.
Although the princess could only wed a royal suitor, Aladdin believed that someday he would be able to have his princess. As luck would have it, a mysterious old man took him to the incredible Cave of Wonders, in search of a magical lamp. Aladdin used this lamp to free the genie inside.
With the help of the genie, Aladdin was able to save his kingdom from impending doom. This act of goodness convinced the Sultan that Aladdin was a worthy suitor for his daughter Jasmine.
True Love; What the past says
King, Queens, and Knights in shining armor are all that a great epic romance needs to be successful. One such story is that of Sir Lancelot and his love affair with the very queen he swore protection to, Queen Guinevere.
Guinevere was the beloved queen of King Arthur, the founder of Camelot. As the champion of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere and premiere Knight of Arthur’s court, Lancelot was an unstoppable warrior. He almost never met defeat and quickly defeated all comers in or out of armor regardless of the number of his foes. However, he was defeated, but only by the power of love.
He was unable to control his love for the queen of Camelot and she returned his love, making it harder for either of them to deny it.
They felt this love so strongly for each other they were willing to destroy all that King Arthur had worked for during his entire life, just so they could be together. Lancelot was Arthur’s best friend and most trusted knight, and Guinevere was his wife and his queen, yet they continued their relationship together.
Romance, Love, and Effect
Camelot fell, as they knew it would, and feeling the guilt of it, Guinevere and Lancelot decided they must separate. Lancelot became a monk and lived as a penitent until his death, and Guinevere did nearly the same. She went to a nunnery spending the rest of her life in repentance and serving God, hoping for forgiveness for what she and Lancelot had done.
An unfortunate end to such a romance, but a tragedy such as this immortalizes the tale for all of history and the days that precede it.
“Oh Romeo, Romeo.
Wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I’ll no longer be a Capulet. `Tis only thy name that is my enemy.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet must be the most famous romantic couple of all time. Their love was forbidden by social status.
Their families did more than not approve of their love for each other; the Montagues and the Capulets were archenemies. Even though centuries of hate ran through their blood, the love of their hearts cleansed the hatred with every beat.
It is sad their lives would not last as long as their love. Romeo, hearing that Juliet was dead, went to see for himself and he found it to be true. He soon killed himself beside her body, not wanting to live another moment on this earth without his beloved Juliet. After he died Juliet awoke from her induced comatose-like sleep to find Romeo committed suicide because he thought she was really dead. Juliet overwhelmed with remorse for causing the death of her lover, killed herself as well. Both Romeo and Juliet choose not to live life without the other.
These tales are only a few examples of forbidden love.
It is not that clear whether any of these stories are fiction or non-fiction, but one thing is for certain, many people experience forbidden love like this. Love finds a way and with that thought, cannot be erased by-laws or rules.
It is the fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of grief. Love is the power that motivates hope, and hope is what makes us live today as if tomorrow were yesterday.
Aladdin and Jasmine, Sir Lancelot and Lady Guinevere, and Romeo and Juliet all saw this and chased their love and proved that even the most forbidden of love are possible as long as they are willing to sacrifice.
You may be in love if…
One of the most common human experiences that two or more (depending on how ambitious you are) people can share is love. But, it’s not always easy to tell if you are in like, lust or full-blown, forever loving. With that in mind, I’ve created this list of signs that you may be crazy in love!
1. If you’ve ever stared deeply into the eyes of your significant other for more than 10 seconds without cracking up hysterically you may be in love.
2. If every person in your life tells you that she/he’s no good and you’re mailman, pharmacist and local news station agrees, yet you think they are just jealous you may be in love.
3. Guys: if you’ve taken the pictures of the other women in your life off the walls, like the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition posters, Playmate of the month calendar, Monster Truck Rally 2005 you may be in love.
4. Ladies: men can produce excessive amounts of eye-watering, nose-burning noxious odor from almost any food or drink, and then arent above sharing it with others, especially at night. Knowing all this, and you STILL want to sleep in the same bed with him you may be in love.
5. If your significant other asks you how they look in their new retro polyester lime green outfit and you say they look hot you may be in love. or you have a really strong self-preservation instinct.
6. Guys: if you’ve ever given up washing and waxing that new car you just bought to watch Sleepless in Seattle with you’s girlfriend/wife for the 20th time you may be in true love.
7. If you always remember every anniversary and birthday of your partner, and you’re not female you may be in love.
Keep being in Love
8. If you think the underwear and socks you get for your birthday and Christmas every year are a pleasant surprise you may be in love.
9. If you thought the Sears Tool Set and rolling cabinet you got for your birthday was a great idea, and you’re not male … you may be in love.
10. If you are taken to Burger King for a romantic dinner, and that doesn’t bother you you may be in love.
11. If you notice your local florist starts arriving at work in a limo since you became a customer … you may be in true love
12. If hearing “Honey, where my clean underwear?” brings tears of joy to your eyes … you may be in true love
But the easiest way to tell if you are in love is this: If there is no one on this planet that you would rather spend every day of your life with than the one you are with then you ARE in love!
Stay with us via: